Quotes from 'Blue Like Jazz'

"We dream of Christ's love for His bride reading like Romeo and Juliet; two equals enflamed in liberal love. I think its more like Lucentio's pursuit of Bianca in Taming of the Shrew. That is, the groom endearing the belligerent bride with kindness, patience, and love. " pg 86

"I was in a lot of pain from the hike, so I was in no mood to mess around. There was no trying to impress Him, no speaking the right words. I simply began to pray and talk to God the way a child might talk to his father....Beneath the billion starts and beside the river, I called out to God, softly. 'Hello?' " pg 99

"I will love God because he first loved me. I will obey God because I love God. But if  I cannot accept God's love, I cannot love Him in return, and I cannot obey Him. Self discipline will never make us feel righteous or clean; accepting God's love will. ...accepting God's kindness and free love is something the devil does not want us to do. If we hear, in our inner ear, a voice saying we are failures, we are losers, we will never amount to anything, this is the voice of satan trying to convince the bride that the groom does not love her. This is not the voice of God. God woos us with kindness, He changes our character with the passion of His love. " pg 86

"Too much of our time is spent trying to chart God on a grid, and too little is spent allowing our hearts to feel awe. By reducing Christian spirituality to formula, we deprive our hears of wonder."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nine Muses

sculpturesque!