Ode to a day that could not be

When the task was announced by Prof. Livingstone
The difficulty of it was not unbeknown

Try the challenge I did
To spend a day in which media I would forbid

I decided to take a walk
To avoid media's loud talk

But just when I thought I had escaped
The call of the typed and the taped

Buses passed me by draped in advertisement,
and 'Barclays' announced bikes ready for rent

Next I met a letter in my post box
and restaurant flyers from nearby blocks

Moodle and email I could not let go
All this just went on to show

How woven in I am into the media network
This is a truth I cannot shirk

But, oh! how I wish I could say I survived
A day last week, media deprived!
----------

My 'Audience study' class was given a media deprivation exercise by our HOD, Prof Sonia Livingstone. She asked us to stay away from all types of media for a day and then post our experiences on the university's web forum (Moodle). The above was my entry..the exercise revealed how media saturated the world we live in is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nine Muses

sculpturesque!